Comprehensive Guide to PPC Account Restructuring: Best Practices and Strategies
At Freelancing Spot, we believe that every successful PPC campaign requires an effective account structure. A well-structured PPC account not only increases the relevance of ads and landing pages but also improves the overall user experience, leading to higher quality scores, better click-through rates, and ultimately, better return on investment (ROI). In this guide, we will explore the best practices and strategies for PPC account restructuring, from identifying opportunities for improvement to implementing a new structure and optimizing performance.
Why Restructure Your PPC Account?
Before we dive into the details, let's discuss why you should consider restructuring your PPC account. There are several reasons why restructuring may be necessary, including:
- Poor performance: If your PPC account is not generating the expected results, restructuring can help identify and address the underlying issues.
- Changes in business goals: As your business evolves, so should your PPC strategy. A restructuring can help align your PPC account with your current business goals.
- Account growth: If you have a large and complex account, restructuring can help streamline your campaigns and improve performance.
- Platform changes: Changes in the PPC platform (such as Google Ads or Bing Ads) may require a restructuring to take advantage of new features or best practices.
Steps for PPC Account Restructuring
To conduct proper PPC account restructuring, here are some of the things you should do:
1. Audit Your Current Account Structure
The first step in PPC account restructuring is to audit your current account structure. This involves reviewing your campaigns, ad groups, keywords, and ad copy to identify areas for improvement. Some common issues to look for include:
- Overlapping ad groups: If you have multiple ad groups with the same or similar keywords, you may be cannibalizing your own traffic and reducing the relevance of your ads.
- Broad match keywords: Broad match keywords can result in irrelevant clicks and low-quality scores.
- Poorly performing ads: Review your ad performance to identify ads with low click-through rates or low conversion rates.
2. Develop a New Account Structure
Once you have identified areas for improvement, you can develop a new account structure. This involves creating campaigns, ad groups, and keywords that are more targeted and relevant to your audience. Some best practices to keep in mind include:
- Create campaigns based on themes: Instead of having one large campaign, create smaller campaigns based on themes or categories. This will make it easier to manage and optimize your campaigns.
- Use single keyword ad groups (SKAGs): SKAGs are ad groups that contain only one keyword. This allows you to create highly targeted ad copy and landing pages that are more relevant to your audience.
- Use match types wisely: Use match types (such as phrase match or exact match) to control when your ads are triggered. This can help reduce irrelevant clicks and improve quality scores.
3. Implement Your New Account Structure
Once you have developed your new account structure, it's time to implement it in your PPC platform. This involves creating new campaigns, ad groups, and keywords, and pausing or deleting old ones. Be sure to carefully review your new structure before launching to ensure everything is set up correctly.
4. Monitor and Optimize Performance
The final step in PPC account restructuring is to monitor and optimize performance. This involves tracking key metrics (such as click-through rates, conversion rates, and cost per acquisition) and making adjustments as needed. Some tips to improve performance include:
- Continuously test and refine ad copy: Test different ad copy variations to identify the most effective messaging for your audience.
- Optimize landing pages: Ensure that your landing pages are relevant to your ads and provide a clear call to action.
- Use negative keywords: Negative keywords can help prevent your ads from showing for irrelevant searches.
5. Leverage Automation and Machine Learning
To take your PPC account restructuring to the next level, consider leveraging automation and machine learning. Many PPC platforms offer tools that can help automate and optimize your campaigns, such as:
- Automated bidding: Use machine learning to automatically adjust your bids based on performance and business goals.
- Smart campaigns: Use pre-built campaigns that are designed to maximize performance for specific business objectives.
- Audience targeting: Use machine learning to target audiences based on their behavior and interests.
By incorporating automation and machine learning into your PPC strategy, you can save time and improve performance.
PPC account restructuring can be a daunting task, but it's essential for maximizing performance and ROI. By following the best practices and strategies outlined in this guide, you can identify areas for improvement, develop a new structure, implement it in your PPC platform, and optimize performance over time. Remember to continuously monitor and refine your campaigns, and consider leveraging automation and machine learning to take your PPC strategy to the next level. With a well-structured PPC account, you can achieve your business goals and drive growth for your company.